• 1 Votes - 5 Average
civility
10-16-2014, 10:11 AM
civility
Gotcha, boss.Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2014, 11:28 AM
RE: civility
(10-17-2014 11:11 AM)jackgrantspassoregon Wrote:  Blacksheep, and civility sounds like an oxymoron.

What? Oxy or moron?Rolleyes
Find all posts by this user
10-17-2014, 11:36 AM
(10-17-2014 11:28 AM)Poppa Gringo Wrote:  
(10-17-2014 11:11 AM)jackgrantspassoregon Wrote:  Blacksheep, and civility sounds like an oxymoron.

What? Oxy or moron?Rolleyes

Blacksheeps replies will reveal oxy moron and the answer, some already know. lol
That is anyone on OPP forum
10-17-2014, 12:36 PM
Nope, not here. I got into attack mode on OPP because of the waves of personal attacks that started as soon as I joined. You could call it an act of self defense. I'm tired of it, it's not allowed here, and I plan to stick around here and help this forum grow. :-)
10-17-2014, 02:22 PM
(10-17-2014 12:36 PM)Blacksheep Wrote:  Nope, not here. I got into attack mode on OPP because of the waves of personal attacks that started as soon as I joined. You could call it an act of self defense. I'm tired of it, it's not allowed here, and I plan to stick around here and help this forum grow. :-)

I hope that is the case. I respect some of your views, but always came under your attack for being a Christian. It would be good to discuss a topic to it's end without the insults.

If your up to the challenge of an honest debate, I look forward to your input knowing we have opposing views.
10-17-2014, 04:28 PM
(10-17-2014 02:22 PM)jackgrantspassoregon Wrote:  
(10-17-2014 12:36 PM)Blacksheep Wrote:  Nope, not here. I got into attack mode on OPP because of the waves of personal attacks that started as soon as I joined. You could call it an act of self defense. I'm tired of it, it's not allowed here, and I plan to stick around here and help this forum grow. :-)

I hope that is the case. I respect some of your views, but always came under your attack for being a Christian. It would be good to discuss a topic to it's end without the insults.

If your up to the challenge of an honest debate, I look forward to your input knowing we have opposing views.

You have my word on that. Hopefully, frankly, those with strong religious views will refrain from injecting them into political conversations where they don't belong. Anyone of any religion has the right to have any political view (Unless you're a Muslim, of course) but I personally don't want to talk religion when I'm discussing politics and I think it's extremely rude for people to start proselytizing in the middle of a discussion. The nature of religion is that if 1000 people call themselves Christians, every one of them will see God differently and have different moral values, to some degree. This is exactly why Protestantism devolved into 1000's of different churches. Differences of political opinion are more than enough to deal with, without everyone mixing their personal religious views in on top of it.

If you can keep your religion out of politics, I'll keep my politics out of religion. Do we have a deal?
10-17-2014, 06:32 PM
(10-17-2014 04:28 PM)Blacksheep Wrote:  

You have my word on that. Hopefully, frankly, those with strong religious views will refrain from injecting them into political conversations where they don't belong. Anyone of any religion has the right to have any political view (Unless you're a Muslim, of course) but I personally don't want to talk religion when I'm discussing politics and I think it's extremely rude for people to start proselytizing in the middle of a discussion. The nature of religion is that if 1000 people call themselves Christians, every one of them will see God differently and have different moral values, to some degree. This is exactly why Protestantism devolved into 1000's of different churches. Differences of political opinion are more than enough to deal with, without everyone mixing their personal religious views in on top of it.

If you can keep your religion out of politics, I'll keep my politics out of religion. Do we have a deal?

I understand your perspective on politics and religion, however in order to express a political view very often the Christian has a foundation of his/her view based on biblical beliefs and must reference that foundation in order to express said view point, also to separate just an opinion, from a foundational belief. With the hot topics given rise in the last 6 years, even more so. I also understand the purpose of the political forum its politics. But as the admin posted about gay mayor imposing the courts to order pastors to give over their sermons, brining in the gay factor is no less political, than the Christian pastors. One of the first few post demand Christian perspectives and encourage not only the raw politics, but a biblical view as it relates to politics, or a gay view point as it relates I to politics.
I also notice Islam, Muslim beliefs in discussion with no offense by some, but those same demanding no Christian beliefs be discussed.
My point is the need for your tolerance, while respecting your desire not to be directly preached too.

Respectfully,
Jack
10-18-2014, 01:49 AM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2014 02:20 AM by Blacksheep.)
(10-17-2014 06:32 PM)jackgrantspassoregon Wrote:  
(10-17-2014 04:28 PM)Blacksheep Wrote:  

I understand your perspective on politics and religion, however in order to express a political view very often the Christian has a foundation of his/her view based on biblical beliefs and must reference that foundation in order to express said view point, also to separate just an opinion, from a foundational belief. With the hot topics given rise in the last 6 years, even more so. I also understand the purpose of the political forum its politics. But as the admin posted about gay mayor imposing the courts to order pastors to give over their sermons, brining in the gay factor is no less political, than the Christian pastors. One of the first few post demand Christian perspectives and encourage not only the raw politics, but a biblical view as it relates to politics, or a gay view point as it relates I to politics.
I also notice Islam, Muslim beliefs in discussion with no offense by some, but those same demanding no Christian beliefs be discussed.
My point is the need for your tolerance, while respecting your desire not to be directly preached too.

Respectfully,
Jack

It's that Directly Preached To part that bothers me the most. If, for example, the discussion is about homosexual marriage and someone says that "God is against it and it says in Chap. X and Verse X that "yatta yatta yatta", that's preaching and it's objectionable. Same applies if some Muslim starts quoting from the Koran. I will speak up against that stuff if I'm involved in the discussion.

You're making excuses to justify preaching at us in political discussions. NO. Talking about your personal spiritual beliefs is a NO. I never do that in political talks and I have deep spiritual convictions. I KEEP THEM TO MYSELF IN POLITICAL CONVERSATIONS and I really think you should do the same and stop trying to find justifications for imposing your personal beliefs on the rest of us. Okay?

No one speaks for God. Period. Anyone who says they do is either a liar or mistaken. Only God can speak for God and I don't recognize any collection of ancient writings as being God's spoken word, and no one can prove any of them are. The Koran is also a bible. Bible means "collection of writings". There's gun bibles and chainsaw bibles. None of them are sacred to me. Do you want me pounding that point every time someone starts belaboring us with their personal beliefs? No, you don't, and neither do I want to be belabored with all those beliefs. I see Admin is paying attention and put up a separate Religion Forum. Use that.

You notice that I haven't resorted to any form of personal insult or attack. I like the feeling of being safe from some vile troll's assaults on this forum, hopefully everyone else will too.
10-18-2014, 03:37 AM
Let's suppose we are discussing the Declaration of I dependence and one of the Constitutions of the USA. It is based on our rights are from God. Looks like the Supreme Being is in the mix from the Get Go.
10-19-2014, 01:28 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2014 08:08 AM by admin.)
(10-18-2014 03:37 AM)ron vrooman Wrote:  Let's suppose we are discussing the Declaration of I dependence and one of the Constitutions of the USA. It is based on our rights are from God. Looks like the Supreme Being is in the mix from the Get Go.

I don't care who says "god", I've no reason to care. I say "god" occasionally. I don't recall any sermons in the Declaration, however, or the Constitution, or the Bill of Rights. People who aren't aggressively religious have no problem confining a political discussion to politics so why should you or anyone else? Do you think that believing in the doctrine of Christianity gives you some sort of special pass? Muslims do, are you like the Muslims? :huh:

What do you mean by "one of the Constitutions"? There's only one.